Darrera modificació: 2009-08-11
García Ballester, Luis - French, Roger K. - Arrizabalaga, Jon - Cunningham, Andrew (eds.), Practical medicine from Salerno to the Black Death, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1994, xiii + 402 pp.
- From the eleventh century to the Black Death in 1348 Europe was economically vigorous and expanding, especially in Mediterranean societies. In this world of growing wealth new educational institutions were founded, the universities, and it was in these that a new form of medicine came to be taught and which widely influenced medical care throughout Europe. The essays in this collection focus on the practical aspects of medieval medicine, and among other issues they explore how far this new learned medicine percolated through to to the popular level; how the learned medical men understood and coped with plague; the theory and practice of medical astrology, and of bleeding (phlebotomy) for the cure and prevention of illness. Several essays deal with the development and interrelations of the nascent medical profession, and of Christian, Muslim and Jewish practioners one to another. Special emphasis is given to the practice of surgery and, the problems of recovering knowledge of a large proportion of medical care - that given by women - are also explored.
0. García Ballester (1994), "Introduction: practical medicine ..."
1. French (1994), "Astrology in medical practice"
2. Agrimi - Crisciani (1994), "The science and practice of ..."
3. Siraisi (1994), "How to write a Latin book on ..."
4. Gil Sotres (1994), "Derivation and revulsion: the ..."
5. O'Boyle (1994), "Surgical texts and social ..."
6. Jacquart (1994), "Medical practice in Paris in the ..."
7. McVaugh (1994), "Royal surgeons and the value of ..."
8. Arrizabalaga (1994), "Facing the Black Death ..."
9. Jones (1994), "John of Arderne and the ..."
10. Green (1994), "Documenting medieval women’s ..."
11. García Ballester (1994), "A marginal learned medical world ..."
- Història de la medicina
Medicina - Cirurgia i anatomia
Astronomia i astrologia
Medicina - Pesta i altres malalties
- Actes del col·loqui «Practitioners and Medical Practice in the Latin Mediterranean. 1100-1350» (Barcelona, 11-15 d’abril de 1989).