Darrera modificació: 2017-04-25
Bases de dades: Sciència.cat, Arnau
García Ballester, Luis, Galen and Galenism: Theory and Medical Practice from Antiquity to the European Renaissance, ed. per Jon Arrizabalaga, Montserrat Cabré, Lluís Cifuentes i Fernando Salmón, Aldershot, Ashgate Variorum (Variorum Collected Studies Series, CS710), 2002, 332 pp.
- Galenism, a rational, coherent medical system embracing all health and disease related matters, was the dominant medical doctrine in the Latin West during the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. Deriving from the medical and philosophical views of Galen (129-c.210/6) as well as from his clinical practice, Latin Galenism had its origins in 12th-century Salerno and was constructed from the cultural exchanges between the Arabic and Christian worlds. It flourished all over Europe, following the patterns of expansion of the university system during the subsequent centuries and was a major factor in shaping the healing systems of the Christian, Jewish and Muslim communities - the subject of a previous volume by Professor García-Ballester. The present collection deals with a wide array of issues regarding the historical Galen and late medieval and Renaissance Galenism, but focuses in particular on the relationship between theory and practice. It includes first English versions of two major studies originally published in Spanish.
* I: Galen's medical works in the context of his biography
* II: García Ballester (1994), "Galen as a clinician: his methods ..."
* III: García Ballester (1988), "Soul and body, disease of the ..."
* IV: García Ballester (1993), "On the origin of the ‘six ..."
* V: García Ballester (1998), "The 'new Galen': a challenge to ..."
* VI: García Ballester (1994), "«Artifex factivus sanitatis» ..."
* VII: García Ballester (1995), "The construction of a new form of ..."
* VIII: García Ballester (1987), "La recepción del Colliget de ..."
* IX: La fiebre y la doctrina de las cualidades y de los grados, según Arnau [=part de la introd. de Vilanova (1985), Commentum supra tractatum Galieni ..., pp. 110-117 i 136-137]
* X: Galenism and medical teaching at the University of Salamanca in the 15th century [traducció anglesa revisada i abreujada de García Ballester (2000), "Galenismo y enseñanza médica en ..."]
* XI: García Ballester (1979), "The circulation and use of ..."
* Publications of Professor Luis García-Ballester
- Història de la medicina
Vilanova, Arnau de
- Informació de l'editor
Altres reculls d'articles de l'autor:
* García Ballester (2001), Medicine in a Multicultural ...
* García Ballester (2004), Artifex factivus sanitatis ...